Duromine & Insomnia

I use to love going out for dinner so i didnt have to cook or clean. But now - i don't like it. I don't know the menu or the meal sizes. Im scared i will eat too much or drink too many empty caleries. Ahh! ! It is a nightmare.

P.s 6.6kg - Woohhoooo!!

Thanks, weighed myself this morning and apparently I've put back on two kilos.. It happens all the time if I don't exercise for a day or two or I eat crap! But two kilos in 1 day?! How does that work. Argh ;(

You on your period or due for it? May be a contributer?

Booty said:
You on your period or due for it? May be a contributer?
Nah not due yet, but I just went to the toilet and weighed myself after and it went down 1kg so I'm just gonna try and only weigh in on Sunday's to stop myself feeling like crap. But my scales are unreliable, so.. See how we go on Sunday

Eating out can be hard but I guess it helps educate us in maintaining it. Maybe try ordering protein and salad with dressing on the side? If you want a glass of wine add soda water to it to make a spritzer and halve the calories. I know what you mean if you don't exercise for a day or two as the same happens to me. Keep going though your on the right track :))

Reactions: Booty
SleepInTheGarden said:
Thanks, weighed myself this morning and apparently I've put back on two kilos.. It happens all the time if I don't exercise for a day or two or I eat crap! But two kilos in 1 day?! How does that work. Argh ;(
You have done great so far, don't stress about the extra 2 kilos. My guess is that you are holding fluid, eating salt and carbs makes you retain fluid. Try your hardest this week to eat low carb, low salt and lots of water to to ditch the fluid. It's impossible to put on actual fat that fast! Happened to me last week after too much salt and carbs, put on weight and it was obvious fluid mostly on my ankles or cankles as my lovely daughter likes to say.

Oh cool! I'm liking the sounds of it just being fluid! Will try do my best, I haven't been eating bread and pasta as much as I used too, but last night when we went out I had a full bowl of fettuccine :/ so that could've been it & Toni I don't drink soft drink and since I've been on duromine I haven't drank alcohol, tried to a couple weeks ago and I had two sips and my whole body starting shaking so no alcohol for me. All I drink is water :)

Reactions: Booty
So, I took my last pull from my first prescription today! Weighed myself and it said 136.5 :/ so my weight has been going up and down a bit!
I really need to learn to get my weekends in check, I don't exercise on weekends and eat take out, not unhealthy just subway or something like that, but I'd prefer home meals! It's just so hard when you go out for the day and get back at like 6pm and can't be bothered cooking! Plus had a roast tea at a friends last night and not to be rude but their portion sizes are ridiculous!!!!!
If I go by my weigh in at the exercise physiologist I'm down to 134.7 which in total is a loss of 7.5 for my first month.
So pretty good I say! But it's definitely time to crack down on my weekends! Meant to be going away this weekend for the whole weekend! And to a kids birthday party wish me luck!

Hello!
Dietician appointment today, since I've started I've lost 9 kilos exactly!!!
My scales must be out, which makes me happy lol
He said I make his job easy, so I'm on cloud nine atm :)

Start weight: 142.2 kg
Current weight: 133.2 kg
Loss: 9 kg
Ermahgawd

Congrats:):)
I know what you mean about weekends, they are the hardest for me as well. All that works is PLANNING. Keep easy ready made frozen meals. But easier said than done. Most of the time I do not even have time to cook for the day, never mind in advance to plano_O
Good luck for this weekend and the kiddies party. Just try to keep the portions small. You are doing great!:laughing:
SleepInTheGarden said:
Hello!
Dietician appointment today, since I've started I've lost 9 kilos exactly!!!
My scales must be out, which makes me happy lol
He said I make his job easy, so I'm on cloud nine atm :)

Start weight: 142.2 kg
Current weight: 133.2 kg
Loss: 9 kg
Ermahgawd

Well done!!!! And even better to prove that dietician wrong with what he said at the start :laughing:
Keep up your good work x

sorry for the long post

first, background
33 or 34... i stopped counting... male.
167cm tall
weigh in at the doctors on Tuesday was 109kgs (he said 108, i saw 109)
6 months ago, got tests, i have fatty liver, i also have torn discs in my back (hence i put on lots of weight, i was bedridden for a few years)
i used to struggle to get over 60kgs...
tried diet shakes, tried changing my diet, but cooking for 8 each night, almost impossible, you just spend hours in the kitchen.
i work in IT, so not very active
main issues would be boredom eating, eating for enjoyment, and when i eat, i scoff it down, i'm little, but i can destroy any food very quickly.

doctor put me on 3 months of 30mg, but i didn't get lots of information from him unfortunatly

day 1, i started the tablet at 10am, because i had to do some tests, i felt weird all day (but the other medication i took for the tests may have impacted) had takeaway chinese for dinner, i had 4 spoon full's, and put the rest for lunch the next day.
day 2, slept for 3 hours, took tablet at 6am, had a fatblaster for breakfast, rest of chinese for lunch, and went to my mates for dinner, had a touch over half a serving of lasagnia... but left it there, sitting in front of me. coming from a greek background, if you didn't finish every crumb, you sat there, and had to finish it (this is one of my problems, years and years of that, has made me want to eat everything)
went for a 1 hour walk, got home at 12, got to bed at 12, up at 1:30, back to bed, up at 4, and just played with the cat.
energy wise? i've been jumping off the walls, got crazhy at work, and cleaned the office (something i reserve for my trainee)
day 3, tablet at 7am, full of energy.

had a bag of cheezels at work, probably had 8 over 2 days, today, i just looked at the packet, and didn't want any...
i'm eating slower now, the food isn't satisfying me like it used to, doesn't give the pleasure, it gives me a full feeling, and i'm happy with that, i would just eat for the sake of tasting something.

just a few questions
what can i do for the lack of sleep? i'm not down on energy, and can usually function very well on just 4 or 5 hours sleep, so it hasn't impacted me much... is it bad to only get 3 hours of sleep?
what should i do with my diet? eat as normal? i'm trying to eat as healthy as i can, logging on myfitnesspal...
with excercise, i'm doing a 30 day squats challenge, doing about 40 a night now.. i used to be able to do well over 250... (keep in mind, i have a pretty bad back)

any tips and advice for me?

thanks for reading my long post, i'll try keep this updated, i'm doing a journal for myself, every single day

Hello Sammyk! Welcome to the forum!! Thank you very much for telling us your story and congratulations on a new phase of your life. May this journey bring you success!

Looks like Duromine does help you with cravings for junk, wooohooo! As for insomnia, it should subside in a couple of days, or you can try taking the pill earlier, and then get back to sleep. Besides, you should not forget to drink plenty of water, which also affects in a way the duration of Duromine effects.

The best thing that I wrote in your message is that you started eating slower. This was the first thing that I wanted to advise you while reading your story. While on Duromine, focus on making slow eating your usual habit. It’s very important for your further weight loss/maintenance.

You’re bravo to log your food into the myfitnesspal and making healthy eating choices is a great start! The only thing to ask here is how do you assess your portions? If you do it by eye, you might be mistaken in calories. If you can, get yourself kitchen scales or use other measuring equipment, which will help you get more accurate numbers. In a week or two, you will get used to the portions and will not need these tools anymore.

Exercise sounds great to me (sorry about the back). A couple of days ago I saw a video about a guy (a veteran, I believe), who managed to bring his body into shape and lose quite a lot of weight by doing yoga. I think it was DDP yoga and you have to buy the videos or something, I am not sure. Well, even if you don’t get it, the stories behind this exercising program are very motivating. =) Still good. May be, if you have such a possibility, you can find a pool and swim. Swimming is soooo good for the rehab and amazing for weight loss. It works great for men.

All in all, sounds like you’re going in a pretty decisive and thought over manner. The main thing is to keep going like that, increasing your endurance, may be even your knowledge about nutrition. There are lots of healthy recipes on the Internet, and, if you have some free time, you might consider the idea of discovering new products (healthy), dishes, cooking techniques.

I’ll keep my fingers crossed for your success. I want so much that you win this battle and be proud of yourself! Have a great day!

finally bought scales today
my digital ones broke.

update again...
had 4 hours sleep on thursday, but 6 hours last night!
was a little naughty with my food on Thurs and Fri, had a chicken parma each day, and a sausage in bread last night.

weighed in today, 105kgs. that's a loss of 1kg/day!!!

also, i am doing a full journal, each day, what i'm eating (as well as fitness pal) what i'm excercising, how i'm feeling, how i'm sleeping

Ah naughty foody! =)) But the weight loss is great and your program is GREAT! Hats off for the journal. I am sure you will succeed and congratulations on your weight loss! Keep up the great work!

How are the exercises going? How’s your back?

Hi everyone,
Took my first tablet this morning at 5:30. Had a pretty full on 9 hour shift at work today. I am an OTA in aged care and work in a high dementia ward. Didn’t register any exercise today but my watch counted just over 15k steps.
Maybe I went wrong by having 2 cups of tea this morning and a coffee at 3PM. Food wise I did great. Protein bar for breakfast on drive into work. Spinach salad with 100grams of chicken
and 100grams of roast chicken and 1 cup of broccoli for dinner. Went to bed at 9:30 and woke up at 11:05. Been awake since. :-/
Thankfully I am not working tomorrow/today. Do I skip a day? Or do I take my tablet and avoid caffeine? After my one day off I have 4 days of 9 hour shifts ahead of me.
Any thoughts?
About me:
I’m 49
164 cm
Current weight 81kg
Goal weight 70kg

Hello dear @Nix6027 :sun:
Welcome to the Forum!

Insomnia is a common side effect of Duromine. I would recommend avoiding coffee, green tea, and all sources of caffeine. Coffee is a stimulant because of the caffeine it includes. But you should know that any kind of tea (except for herbal or fruit tea) contains much more caffeine than coffee. So, you have to listen to your body, and according to your reaction, choose - whether to drink it or not. :relieved:

At the same time, your body needs some time to get used to the pills and all the new processes. It is allowed to skip the day if you take Duromine for a long time, but not for the first time. Or if you feel some bad side effects. :cold_sweat: I would recommend asking your doctor.

We also have a great article here on how to improve your sleep - https://ngu.team/community/threads/lack-of-sleep-tips-to-improve-your-sleep.2965/

I wish you a successful weight loss journey! :heart:

Last edited by a moderator:
@Nix6027 , first of all, you should drink plenty of water, it makes Duromine work better. You can also replace your coffee intake with herbal tea, especially in the evening :blush:

I am so sorry to hear you are struggling with your sleep @Nix6027 :oops: Maybe the problem is in the lack of exercise? Your body is full of energy because of the pills. You need to be physically active throughout the day. Try to walk before bedtime, at least :)

Sommeil said:
I am so sorry to hear you are struggling with your sleep @Nix6027 :oops: Maybe the problem is in the lack of exercise? Your body is full of energy because of the pills. You need to be physically active throughout the day. Try to walk before bedtime, at least :)
You are right, Sommeil. Duromine gives a lot of energy while your body is adapting to new processes.

Not every person is capable of enduring 3-4 days without a decent night’s sleep. As a rule, insomnia subsides by day 3-5 from the beginning of the Duromine course. In addition, solutions for insomnia on Duromine include:

• Take your Duromine at the earliest possible hour in the morning.
  • Use sleeping pills
  • Wait a couple of days for the sleeplessness to go away.
  • Stop taking Duromine for 3-4 days and restart its use (high possibility of no insomnia at the restart) - but it's better to ask your doctor.

Reactions: Fetalia and Dre