Oh bugger! Can you drop to 15mg, or take every second day?

I slept OK last night, I think probably because I totally wore myself out I didn't stop moving all day lol. It will be interesting to see how I sleep over the next few days as it starts to build up in my system.

Nope not from Newy, Im on the Gold Coast :laughing:

How are you going Nikki? Im on day two and eager to hear how you are progressing :)

Hi all,
As the title says, it was my first day today taking duromine - 30mg.
Back story....

Over the last ten years I have bounced between 152kg - 75kg - 110kg and now back to 98kg due to binge eating disorder and PCOS.

Despite my obesity I am actually a full time personal trainer, power lifter and love my work. The saddest thing for me though is that my clients are achieving the very things I want - with my training and nutrition advice - yet I cant help myself. So, I know, more than most that there is no magic pill but just hoping to escape my cravings and hunger long enough to lay down new habits.

Anyway, day 1 has been really good.
Took pill 6am and had what I would describe as 'clean' energy for about 6/7 hours, i.e no jitters, My mood was so much more positive and have not felt hungry all day. I have eaten regularly though. It was interesting and a pleasant surprise that when I went to eat my dinner that after eating less than half I just simply lost interest and didn't want it. A completely new experience for a long term binge eater and food addict.
I've just started to get a background headache just now but I fully expected that as I always get them with changes in diet.
Have drunk an absolute s**t ton of water due to the constant dry mouth.

I'm feeling pretty positive about it all really and finally have some hope.
It will be interesting to see how my body copes with my heavy lifting training - leg day on Monday : )
Thanks for reading and for the support that this forum provides

Paula

Kayley said:
I don't get to weigh officially until Saturday, but I did weigh tonight and I'm what I weighed last week on Saturday morning but at night, so that's encouraging because I always weigh more at night time.
Been so incredibly thirsty lately but that is only side effect.
I thought I would post a pic, 6.3kg difference. I would of thought I would see more of a change :( guess I should start that exercise.....
Your belly looks flatter :)

Hi Ladies, I'm Jess and this is my very first day on Duromine. A bit of a back story of how I came to this place... I'm 30 and a mum of 3 (5,3 and 6 months). My weight issues began when I was pregnant with my first back in 2009. I made the mistake of thinking I could eat what I want when I want. I ended up putting on a lot of weight from my pregnancies thinking this way and now I am paying for it as I am really struggling to lose the weight.
About a month ago I started at a gym. Things are going well but I wasn't losing weight, which worried me.I am exercising at least 4-5 days a week. I am also eating well, however I am really struggling with portion control which is why I turned to my Doctor. He recommended Duromine and prescribed me 30mg. This is my first day taking it. I have a really shocking headache. Is this a normal side effect? I have heard duromine can effect your sleep and I'm hoping this isn't the case. As a mum of 3 kids under 5 sleep is oh so important.

JWebb said:
Hi Ladies, I'm Jess and this is my very first day on Duromine. A bit of a back story of how I came to this place... I'm 30 and a mum of 3 (5,3 and 6 months). My weight issues began when I was pregnant with my first back in 2009. I made the mistake of thinking I could eat what I want when I want. I ended up putting on a lot of weight from my pregnancies thinking this way and now I am paying for it as I am really struggling to lose the weight.
About a month ago I started at a gym. Things are going well but I wasn't losing weight, which worried me.I am exercising at least 4-5 days a week. I am also eating well, however I am really struggling with portion control which is why I turned to my Doctor. He recommended Duromine and prescribed me 30mg. This is my first day taking it. I have a really shocking headache. Is this a normal side effect? I have heard duromine can effect your sleep and I'm hoping this isn't the case. As a mum of 3 kids under 5 sleep is oh so important.
Welcome. Have a look through all the previous posts from other members about their journey on Duromine. It will give you a lot of motivation and also answer a lot of questions for you.
A headache is a common side effect. Try drinking LOTS of water. I found that it really helps and diminishes a lot of side effect. The first week or 2 seems to be the worst for most people and after that your side effects should be gone. Just make sure to ear small healthy meals regularly as well. If you struggle with insomnia try taking your D as early as possible and avoid any stimulants. You can also try natural remedies like chamomile tea or a herbal sleeping aid.
If you go to gym regularly I am sure you will see amazing results on Duromine.
Please keep us posted and ask if you have any questions.
Good luck;););)

Amazing results Kayley! Hope you keep posting I'm glad I've found your thread :)

Hey Buglegirl!

Hows your week going? Im in the same boat, I know how to loose weight, but I just cant seem to kick my own ass into gear. Ive been on this duromine a week now and positive to report back that it really is helping me 'reset' my eating habits, I actually can stop eating when Im full lol

Reactions: tanlucer
Welcome, Jess:)

There is nothing to worry about, your headache is pretty "normal" side effects of the pills. I hope it'll pass soon, and I agree with Audrey - to avoid insomnia, try some natural remedies. I am sure that you will lose weight because you are working hard at gym. It just can take much more time, than you expected, but that is the weight loss process. Therefore, I recommend you not to set specific terms of weight loss results, let it go how it goes. And one more thing: do not watch at others' results as it can demotivate you. Your body is different and it should have its own regimen and weight loss. Prepare yourself for a long journey, but remember - once you decided to become slim, you need to watch over your diet for the rest of your life. Duromine will teach your body to control portions, and sometimes it is all we need to stay within the limits of our healthy weight. Your kids deserve to have a healthy mom.

Good luck!

Reactions: tanlucer
Apologies if this isn't the right place to put this but I wanted somewhere to record my weekly progress and side effects to try and keep me motivated.

Im a 20 year old male who has been overweight his whole life. I developed Psoriasis and the Psoriatic Arthritis when I was 15. There is no reason and there is no cure, that itself has been a struggle for the last few years. I have been on some very potent medications, no doubt my diet and weight make both of my conditions 100x worse. During my late teens I tried over and over to lose weight. It never lasted. It sounds funny but I go through phases such as the last few months, where I completely forget about my weight and eat whatever, whenever.

On the weekend though I finally decided enough is enough. This is not another attempt and will not be another failure after losing motivation. I had been contemplating taking Clenbuterol, but was worried about my heart because of my weight so I made an appointment with my GP to ask him for Duromine. I explained to him that I needed something to work in conjunction with to keep me aligned and motivated. I know how to eat healthy and count calories, I know how to exercise but I just have not been able to. Getting started is the hardest part for me. He understood and after taking my blood pressure and asking my weight he wrote out a prescription for Duramine 30mg.

At this point I knew I was somewhere around 160kg. A lot of scales including the ones in the doctors office and the ones I have at home only go up to 150kg. I stopped on the way home and picked up a set of scales that go to 200kg and my prescription. I was motivated and excited. That night after dinner I hopped on the scales for my starting weight and I was shocked. 169.00kg. I don't know how I got to this point but I am disgusted in myself and once I lose weight I NEVER want to return.

Sorry for the introduction, I got carried away because its hard to fit everything in. This has been a bit about myself for anybody who's interested and also for me to eventually look back on. Who knows, maybe I can even help someone who's in a similar boat take that step and get started.

With all the previous research i'd done I had heard so much about the 'terrible' side effects of Duramine. I had important classes on for the next few days so I decided to wait for my day off Yesterday and took my first one. Thursday 23/07/2015.

SW/CR - 169.00kg
1st GW - 120.00kg

Duraman said:
Apologies if this isn't the right place to put this but I wanted somewhere to record my weekly progress and side effects to try and keep me motivated.

Im a 20 year old male who has been overweight his whole life. I developed Psoriasis and the Psoriatic Arthritis when I was 15. There is no reason and there is no cure, that itself has been a struggle for the last few years. I have been on some very potent medications, no doubt my diet and weight make both of my conditions 100x worse. During my late teens I tried over and over to lose weight. It never lasted. It sounds funny but I go through phases such as the last few months, where I completely forget about my weight and eat whatever, whenever.

On the weekend though I finally decided enough is enough. This is not another attempt and will not be another failure after losing motivation. I had been contemplating taking Clenbuterol, but was worried about my heart because of my weight so I made an appointment with my GP to ask him for Duromine. I explained to him that I needed something to work in conjunction with to keep me aligned and motivated. I know how to eat healthy and count calories, I know how to exercise but I just have not been able to. Getting started is the hardest part for me. He understood and after taking my blood pressure and asking my weight he wrote out a prescription for Duramine 30mg.

At this point I knew I was somewhere around 160kg. A lot of scales including the ones in the doctors office and the ones I have at home only go up to 150kg. I stopped on the way home and picked up a set of scales that go to 200kg and my prescription. I was motivated and excited. That night after dinner I hopped on the scales for my starting weight and I was shocked. 169.00kg. I don't know how I got to this point but I am disgusted in myself and once I lose weight I NEVER want to return.

Sorry for the introduction, I got carried away because its hard to fit everything in. This has been a bit about myself for anybody who's interested and also for me to eventually look back on. Who knows, maybe I can even help someone who's in a similar boat take that step and get started.

With all the previous research i'd done I had heard so much about the 'terrible' side effects of Duramine. I had important classes on for the next few days so I decided to wait for my day off Yesterday and took my first one. Thursday 23/07/2015.

SW/CR - 169.00kg
1st GW - 120.00kg
Thanks for sharing your story! I can't wait to hear about how your first week goes! My first week I thought the side affects were not great but I became use to it and just felt normal after that. Good luck :)

Day 2:
Its Friday night, 24/07/2015. I've been on Duramine for nearly 2 days and I am AMAZED. I got a bit of a dry mouth yesterday after my first dose but it was minimal. I wasn't sure if it was working at first because I couldn't feel any noticeable changes in energy, but how wrong I was. As the day went on I realised I just didn't feel like I needed to eat. Lunch came around and I went and got a 6" roll from Subway. It was almost like a chore, I couldn't be bothered and I could have continued not eating. When I was eating it I didn't even feel like I needed it and I felt satisfied afterwards. In earlier attempts to lose weight my stomach would have been KILLING me. I had some soup for dinner and felt full. I started to feel tired and a tiny bit weird at about 10pm so I went to bed. I woke up at 4am more awake than I should be and couldn't get back to sleep for an hour.

After waking at 7am I felt fine even with the interrupted sleep. I am usually extremely sluggish in the morning but something was different this morning. I had more energy, but not too much. If anything my mood has improved so far.

I am coming to the end of Day 2, taking my lifestyle change one day at a time. I've gathered enough money to sign up to a gym and I'm looking forward to getting started. I am having a bit of a hard time drinking enough water, but this has always been a bit of an issue for me. I've struggled to get down 1 litre today. Hunger is basically non existent and I am going strong and more motivated than ever. I will see how my sleep goes tonight.

Im probably going to weigh in once a week.

Last edited:
Reactions: sharon71
Fay T said:
Thanks for sharing your story! I can't wait to hear about how your first week goes! My first week I thought the side affects were not great but I became use to it and just felt normal after that. Good luck :)

Thanks for the support! Its appreciated.

Hey and welcome!! Sounds like a great start to your journey my hubby doesn't really drink much water either but he's downloaded some app that makes a water noise every so often to remind him to drink haha. Also maybe a squeeze of lemon or lime might make it more appealing can't wait to hear more about your journey!

Reactions: Kate
Good luck with your journey.

Hi everyone, Iv just signed up to this site as there seems to be lots of discussions and sooo many topics! About me, Im 23 years old, have put on 30kg in 2 years from medication, then stopped medication (no longer need, stopped 3 months ago), but have not been able to lose weight despite going to the gym at last 5 times a week and a pretty good diet. I was prescribed Duromine yesterday by my doctor after a lengthy discussion and weighing up the positives / negatives of the medication. I started this morning, and took my tablet at 7am, I had lots of energy a couple hours later which was great. I went to the gym at 2pm and had the worst luck - I slipped off the treadmill and had to go to hospital, After an XRAY and MRI I was told I have torn a ligament in my ankle and have to rest for at least a few days. I now weigh 96 kilos which is really hard for me as I am embarrassed about the way i look and avoid all friends now. I'm very lucky to have a supportive partner though. I should mention whilst on said medication for 2 years I regularly went to the gym also.
I feel so disappointed, as when I see my doctor tomorrow I'm assuming he will tell me to not take Duromine again until it has healed so that I can get the best results. Does anyone have advice? I don't know anyone else on Duromine so it would be great to chat with others that have the experience. thanks for reading! - Ash

Hi Ashyolo :)
I'd think you could keep taking duromine as weight loss is 80% diet anyway. So you could continue eating healthy till your ankle heals. After a few days you might be able to bike ride at the gym so there's no weight on your ankle?or do upper body weights to help build muscle as muscle burns fat? A few years ago when I had lost weight, I injured my foot and stopped going to the gym. Worse think I ever did as I didn't go back. In hindsight there's things i could have done while my foot healed to keep me in the routine. Also having the fitness pal app on your phone to track calories is an amazing tool to help you realize exactly how much your eating.
Best of luck to you :)

Ekkkk Im so sorry, what terrible luck! Ive had ankle injuries and all I can suggest is rest rest rest, its bad enough having to hobble on it for everyday activities around the house, work etc, so rest it as much as possible otherwise it just wont get better.

I would keep on with the D, there are a ton of people on here who rarely exercise and are seeing amazing results. Sure its not ideal for muscle tone, but you can always catch up on that later :laughing:

I agree dont give up the duromine. Im one of the ones that has hardly exercised while on D. My Dr prescribed D in Oct 2014 to aid weight loss I decided to not fill script & try on my own. Progess was very slow then I hurt my foot so decided to try Duromine. I have lost 22kg since March with the only activity being at work 3 days a wk in a busy cafe. Foot has improved faster than dr expected which I think is due to weight loss. Start weight was 118kg. Duromine will help get your diet under control ready for when you can exercise again. I started walking and gym today to tone. Good luck with your journey. T

Welcome to the forum Duraman!

Good luck with your journey! You are right - it is always hard to begin, but Duromine will help you to go on and develop new eating habits. It really helps, as you can see. A agree with DiaryofADuroDamzel - lemon juice and honey helps to drink more water. Sometimes I add a little bit of fresh ginger or mint. Tastes great! I also found that when I fill up my 2L bottle with water and put it in front of me while working, I tend to drink more than if I'm just going to the kitchen for another glass of water. My advice - take a bottle with your water with you wherever you go. Or set a reminder, yes. By the way, when you start going to the gym, exercising, your body will remind you to drink water a lot more)))

You sound very motivated and purposeful! And you are on the right way!